Friday 29 April 2011

Antinori Tignanello 2007

Antinori, along with Sassicaia, must be regarded as one of the pioneers not only in the Tuscan region but also in the resurgence of Italian wines world wide.
Tignanello first made its debut in 1971 but really started hitting its straps in 1982.  From then on it has been a blend of 85% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc.  


There has been a lot of talk that 06 and 07 are two great vintages in Chianti, and while I mostly like the 06’s compared to the 07’s this wine changes my view all together. It is so calm and controlled yet mouth watering and seductive. Flavours of cassis, dirt, spice, cherry balm and balsamic vinegar pervade every aspect of my mouth while the Dutch liquorish tannins pull the wine exceptionally long. This is the first wine that I’ve had that the tannins tasted like Dutch liquorish, mmmm. I wouldn’t touch another until 2020, and by then it should be humming! This is my young wine of the year and for that matter the best young wine I’ve had in a long time. I'm thinking i need more than a six pack!
Alcohol: 14%
Price: $120
Rated: 96+
Drink: 2020-2030

1 comment:

  1. I agree :-)
    My favorit wine - just bought 2 plus a magnum to day (christmas present to my self)
    But I have tryed a Australian vine - made from a danish and Frensh guy - it is in the same class (nearly) Heatcot II - you can see it at my blog
    http://fjordrejen.dk/?p=3306
    /Erland

    ReplyDelete