Wednesday 22 August 2012

Chardonnay Skins V Non skins

I am making two white wines this year, both from Chardonnay which I buy from a high quality grower in the Adelaide Hills.  Both wines were picked on the same day from the same part of the vineyard. I selected the picking date due to the flavour profile of the grapes. I have never bothered to get my wines analysed as I trust my own palate.  As I now make my wine up the road from my house and they have the facility to test the wines I decided to get my wines tested yesterday and these were the numbers.

Skin contact 20 days Chardonnay

Alc: 12.8%
TA: 6.8
PH: 3.56

The wine has gone through full malo already and was wild fermented with no addition of sulphur at any stage.

No skin contact and whole bunch pressed straight to barrel.

Alc: 13.3%
TA: 8.0
PH: 3.3

This wine has gone through full malo already and was wild fermented with no addition of sulphur at any stage.


1 comment:

  1. hey Josh, how is the skins project going? can you shoot me an email mikebennieis at yahoo dot com dot au ? be keen to hear.

    ReplyDelete