Monday 1 August 2011

Balnaves Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

When I first started collecting wine, Balnaves took up most of my cellar.  It holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first wines my wife bought for me.  I've been collecting them ever since.  They planted their vineyard in 1976 with extra plantings now covering 140 acres of mostly Cabernet Sauvignon. A brilliant move as I think it is the shining light of Cabernet in South Australia


Balnaves Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Puckering tannins pull the wine effortlessly along my tongue with flavours of cedar, green peppercorns, pungent blackcurrant and dark chocolate.  It is marvelous that you can pick up such wines for such good prices.  I'm coming to the conclusion that Aussie Cab can go the distance.  If this was Shiraz it would have hit its peak but this baby is powering on.  Leave it alone and it will reward you handsomely. 


Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $
30
Rated: 89
Drink: 2014 - 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment