Thursday 4 August 2011

Wendouree Shiraz 2009

Wendouree must hold a special place in many wine drinkers' hearts.  Each year they produce a variety of wines, sell them directly to their mailing list customers, some wine retail and restaurant folk.  I've heard rumors that you can pick for Tony Brady but you must have a Degree in Philosophy.  Bugger as I'm only doing my Honours in Psychology at the moment.  These wines are built to age so they definitely don't look flashy compared to some of the young guns.  What you do get is a wine that is classically put together that amazes with a decade or 3 in the cellar.

Each year you get your form explaining the current release.  Well, you don't get much info but I don't think it really matters.  I want to open one of each when they arrive!


Wendouree Shiraz 2009

 Tight, Tight and Tight! For now the wine is all coiled up but still maintains a beautiful balance between acidity, tannin and flavour.  It will be monumental with time in a cave.  If you want to open it now slide the vinous liquid into a decanter for 24 hour before sampling the beauty.  What is most marvelous about this wine is the intensity you get without heaviness.  Vibrant flavours of menthol, cloves, spice, dutch licorice and ironstone beautifully balance the cherry and blood plum fruit.   The tannins meld perfectly into the wine adding a chocolatey component.  I just want to lick the inside of the glass to get every last drop of this beautiful elixir. 

Alcohol: 13.8%
Price: $55

Rated: 94+
Drink: 2024 - 2041

 Simplicity is best

 The new Guala closure

4 comments:

  1. Hi, have they delivered the wines for the Wendourees 09 yet? I thought it would only arrive in Oct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mate got his about 3 weeks ago (he has a black AB on his mailing list) and i got mine last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Josh, how's the 2008's compared with the 2009's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the 08s yet so i can't comment. I'll try and taste a bottle if i can get my mates to open one.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete