Thursday 10 November 2011

Tyrrell's Vat 1 2003

I love the feeling of opening an aged wine. There is something that stirs inside of me so I was looking forward to tasting this wine, especially as semillon ages you get flavours of honey, toast and lanolin but it is the extra degree of complexity, texture and intensity that is the most beguiling. My wife prefers the razor sharp acidity of the young ones compared to the roundness and pure loveliness of the aged versions.

Tyrrell's Vat 1 2003

So this has turned 8 years of age which I thought implied that is was an aged version but this tastes like a tank sample. It all starts with lime concentrate with a hint of summer flowers and spice coming into play.  The wine is locked up so tight that it was difficult to drink at this stage. I guest you could say that this is how some different sexual experiences develop. Your partner spanks you hard, which might hurt, but you say keep on doing that and we will see what happens. Now back to the wine which has brilliant length so I would put it away for 5 more years before I would start bringing them out.

Alcohol: 10.5%
Price: $70
Rated: 94++
Drink: 2016 - 2027

1 comment: