Wednesday 5 September 2012

Carpe Diem Vineyards Sangiovese 2009 + Bangers and Mash



The biggest surprise of 2012 goes to finding this little winery that churns out high quality regional wines with a difference. These guys focus on all things Italian with a Margaret River twang woven into the fabric of each wine.

Bangers and Mash

I wanted to pair this wine with a food that my dad used to eat when he was growing up. It would be brilliant if I went through the process of how to make your own sausages but I am going to cheat for this recipe. Go out and find the best butcher in my area, Barossa Fine Foods is the only one for me, and buy whatever you like.  For this meal I bought some duck and veal sausages which paired brilliantly with an indulgent mash.

Indulgent mash which you may need to only eat every now and again

1 kilo waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into segments
300 g butter
100 g cheddar cheese, grated

Slowly cook the potato in hot but not boiling water. This may take an hour to an hour and a half depending on the potato type and the size of the segments but it is important to not heat the potatoes quickly as that releases the starches which results in a gluey textured dish. Once the potatoes are cooked drain the water and fold in butter while the potatoes are hot.  Mix in cheese and serve with sausages placed on the bed of potato.



Carpe Diem Vineyards Sangiovese 2009

How should I describe this wine? Well I’m not sure as it feels familiar with the wine being medium bodied and savoury yet there is something else. It could be this textural element that combines with the wonderful flavour of plums, sour cherries, spice and an element that makes me feel like I could crunch down on the wine. Maybe that it, the wine feels like it should be served with a fork and a spoon.  That would look rather funny though. I’ll put it out there that if you grab a bottle of this, you will feel like you have discovered something special.

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $27
Rated: 89
Drink: 2014 – 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment