Tuesday 6 March 2012

Carpe Diem Vineyards L'Attimo Riserva Speciale Nebbiolo 2009

One of the most rewarding parts of writing for an overseas wine magazine is receiving a lot of samples from wineries that I have never heard of. When a Nebbiolo from Margaret River came across my desk I was intrigued so I had to find out some information about the winery.  The husband and wife team have been making wine in Conegliano, which is a sub-region of Veneto, for a while now but they moved over to Margaret River in 2001.  The region of Conegliano is renown for its Prosecco wine and an education system that has produced many top tier oenologists. If you have never tasted a wine from Carpe Diem then you are missing out on something special. 

Carpe Diem Vineyards L'Attimo Riserva Speciale Nebbiolo 2009

I had to let this sit for 24 hours before tasting it as it is so bound up like a ball.  Once it opened up there was a gorgeous flow of dirty roses wrestling with roasted meat unfurling in front of me.  There was hints of spearmint, sarsaparilla, green herbs and armpit sweat but it was the tannins that was most alluring. These tannins are some of the best in the country, right up there with Castagna and Sutton Grange. They spread out on my tongue, proving texture while holding the flavours in my consciousness and uplifting my mood.  Its the sort of wine that brings a smile to your face. This is a very serious Nebbiolo and requires major cellaring to show if full potential. 

Alcohol: 13.8%
Price: $80
Rated: 91+
Drink: 2017 - 2032 

No comments:

Post a Comment