Monday 9 May 2011

Coriole Soloist Shiraz 2009

When I think of McLaren Vale the first thing that pops into my head is grenache blends.  They are what I regard as the best performing group of wines from the region but I must say tempranillo, sangiovese and sagrantino are making their mark. So what did I reach for… a shiraz.  Now to the producer, Coriole first started 31 years ago, planted sangiovese 28 years ago and now has expanded into what I consider the next exciting movement, fiano.

Coriole Soloist Shiraz 2009

The wine feels like the first time I watched my 15 month old daughter meet a stranger.  It almost is aggressively shy, if you can say such a thing, but it is much better for it.  The wine is only just full bodied with very good length and flavours of bourbon soaked plums and chocolate covered liquorish, slowly meandering its way around my mouth.  I would say it’s most probably the best Coriole shiraz I’ve tried but it’s in need of a rest in a cave.

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $40
Rated: 91
Drink: 2015 -2025 

No comments:

Post a Comment