Tuesday 31 May 2011

Gran Sasso Montepulciano d'Abruzzo DOC 2009

I love the idea behind these wines. Low or no oak, keep it fresh and doesn't burn a hole in your wallet.  It’s the sort of wine people turn to if the budget is under attack. Well they must be turning to it as domestic consumption is falling but European imports are up 1.5 to 3% this year and now make up 15% of the total wine consumed. Even though i want to say, you should support your local community, I think that variety has increased 10 fold as people are trying to find something that doesn't put them into an alcoholic stupor after one glass.

 

Gran Sasso Montepulciano d'Abruzzo DOC 2009

 

So I seem to be on a bit of an import bender at the moment which is fine with me if they are priced like this and have quality and interest to burn.  It’s a wine my Calabrian uncle would slap down on the table with a bowl of olives, oil and crusty bread. Do I feel like I am solving world peace while i'm drinking this? No but I do feel a whole lot better after a glass or two.  The wine is light to medium bodied with chalky tannins, beautiful acidity and flavours of savory herbs, cherry balm, dehydrated cranberry’s, earth and burnt coffee beans.

 

Alcohol: 13%
Price: $10
Rated: 87
Drink: now - 2014 
Importer: Mondo Imports



No comments:

Post a Comment