Tuesday 4 October 2011

Chateau Cheval Blanc Grand Cru 2002

You don’t often get to taste wines of this price tag so I was look forward to trying this.  Now I must say that St-Emilion has never really done it for me.  I generally prefer the wines from Pomeral or the Left bank but I have never tried any of the top wines from Angelus, Ausone or Cheval Blanc.  Merlot is a big player in this region but it only comprises 50% of the blend here, the other 50% is Cabernet Franc.  As this wine is from a rather poor vintage, I can understand my feelings after I tried the wine.

Chateau Cheval Blanc Grand Cru 2002

As the wine starts out rather open and approachable I was thinking this is ready to go.  There is a really smoky meaty flavour coming through with a hint of violets adding freshness.  There are nice tannins sitting sveltely underneath the surface on a good length palate.  Now the kicker…for 500 bucks it is not really doing that much for me.  Take off a 0, so 50 bucks, and you have yourself a winner.  

Alcohol: 12%
Price: $500

Rated: 89
Drink: Now - 2020
Importer: Negociants Australia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment