Thursday 13 June 2013

d'Arenberg Dead Arm Shiraz 2009

The Dead Arm used to be the top of the tree for d'Arenberg but the Single vineyard wines are now the leading light. The Dead Arm in 2009 was produced from low yielding vines that were picked over a six week period that had the qualirty and flavour profile that Chester is looking for. It is funny that I have read so many reviews of this wine but they all have differing opinions on when to drink and the quality. I'm of the opinion that this is high quality but won't need too much cellaring to hit its straps.

d'Arenberg Dead Arm Shiraz 2009

I though I would give this a day open before tasting it and when I finally put my nose into the large Waterford glasses the aromas hit me straight away. They were smokey, meaty and earthy but with forceful notes of melted licorice, marshmellows, chocolate coated plums and raspberries. The oak already seems to be in the background with the balance quite stunning. I'm not sure if the flavour are so open and upfront that I don't really notice the structure but I'm sure it is underneath. Now here is why I think it won't go for 20 or 30 years. The acidity level is not as prominant as I would like but I guess for an 09 this is brilliant!

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $60
Rated: 92
Drink: 2015 - 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment