Wednesday 1 June 2011

Savaterre Chardonnay 2005

So who are the big regions for Chardonnay? Yarra Valley? Adelaide Hills? Margaret River? Beechworth? Macedon Ranges? I think they all work well with the variety but some producers shine above the other. As the Beechworth region undulates like a roller coaster it is very difficult to generalise regarding the whole of the regions ability to produce quality chardonnay but dutiful makers select the right site for the right variety. 


Savaterre Chardonnay 2005


Ok so this has been sitting in my cellar ever since I bought it from Keppel Smith 3 years ago, but I thought I should check on it since there has been mixed reviews.  Need I have worried? Hell No! It is still rather reserved with its eggnog, grapefruit, hazelnut crème brulee, lime zest and spice, with an academy for best supporting actor of pineapple making its mark.  Fantastic length, zippy acidity and power running throughout this shy beast which reminds me of those American teenage movies… think any of the shows that the lead girl starts out as the ugly duckling.  It needs another 3 to 4 years to show its best but I’m waiting on the edge of my seat.   

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $70
Rated: 94
Drink: 2014 - 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment