Tuesday 8 May 2012

Hahndorf Hill Winery Blueblood Blaufränkisch 2010

Blaufrankisch is a late ripening variety similar to Cabernet and Riesling which may mean that other areas than the Adelaide Hills are suited to producing the best examples from this variety. Now I tasted this wine a while ago but it has taken me a while to write it up.  My rating is a little different than Grape Observers but I would suggest that you have a look at his and mine and then grab yourself a bottle so you can make up your own mind. I have always thought the best review for a wine for my wife would come from her own experience. It is very Star Waresk the line I am about to deliver...'trust your own palate'.

Hahndorf Hill Winery Blueblood Blaufrankisch 2010

Dark and broody with a little porty fruits on the nose which is followed rather well on the palate. A little blueberry pie, cedar and raspberry coulis joins the team but the level of sweet fruit is a little too much for what the variety would normally deliver. The tannin structure is very good as the velveteen tannins march along to the beat of a drum adding interest and distracting me from the ultra ripe fruit.  While I liked this wine I would have like it more with an extra layer of savouriness woven into it.

Alcohol: 14% looking at this after tasting it, I can understand the flavour spectrum
Price: $35
Rated: 86
Drink: Now or over the next few years.


No comments:

Post a Comment