Tuesday 9 April 2013

House of Arras Blanc de Blanc 2001

The 2001 vintage was very cool and late down in Tasmania which made it perfect for top quality sparkling base wines. This wine is almost 100% chardonnay and under goes full malolactic fermentation yet it still has over 8g per litre of acidity. It is little wonder that this producing is one of the leading sparkling makers.

House of Arras Blanc de Blanc 2001

I haven’t had an Arras in a while but the first thing I notice is that the thin cord has been removed from the sale of the wine. I’m not sure why they had it there in the first place but it made the opening of the wine an event. Once I opened this wine it smelt very elegant and sophisticated. The aromas slowly unfolded and told a story of love like no other one I have heard in Australia. The bond between fruit, winemaking influences and hints of aged characters couldn’t be held back. On the palate the remarkable texture and vibrancy shone with flavours of lemon curd, gun metal, brioche, king island cream, oyster mushrooms and spice leading the way. In the end I just sat back and let it take me on its journey. This is one of the best Australian Sparkling wines I have tried.

Alcohol: 12.5%
Price: $60
Rated: 93
Drink: Now or later



No comments:

Post a Comment