Monday 18 July 2011

Shobbrook Wines Nouveau 2011

People are starting to release their wines earlier resulting in what i would consider an unfinished wine.  Therefore seeing a 2011 on sale now sort of scared me.  This is made in a drink now style, unfettered by oak yet savoury and gluggable.  At $22 i would expect the wine to score around the 85 mark so this has value galore.  My value to score scale comes in $10 for 80, $20 for 85, $50 for 90 and $100 for 94 and above.
The Nouveau is 100% Mataro which i think is the leading light of the Barossa.  Would it be too forthright to say the Barossa should do more stand alone and blended efforts with this variety...  One could even start marketing the Barossa as the S&M (Shiraz and Mataro) leading light.


Shobbrook Nouveau 2011

You get a little sweet spritz, like opening a bottle of Schweppes lemonade to start with, then it turns into a fragrant earthy number with flavours of cranberry and tart plum.  For such a young wine it has complexity and completeness written all over it.  I closed my eyes at this point to listen to the wine talk to me.  It whispers "drink me drink me"  and so i oblige. 



Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $
22
Rated: 89
Drink: SMASH IT NOW

No comments:

Post a Comment