Friday 13 July 2012

Patritti Lot 3 Shiraz 2010

Patritti Lot 3 Shiraz 2010

The grapes for this wine comprise all three blocks from Patritti’s home block.  That means this wine is part old gate, JBP and Wirri Wirri Patritti combined which gets me excited just thinking about the prospect of tasting it.  This wine is aged in new French oak and is only the free run juice making this wine made in a super premium fashion. Once the bottle is open, the room fills with bright and savoury floral aromatics which transfer easily onto the palate.  There are flavours that bounce onto my mouth with energy that I used to have when I was in my late teen but these flavour do so in an elegant and cerebral manner. The wine is lighter in weight than the JPB but it certainly doesn’t lack depth or length of flavour. In fact it took three days for the tannin structure to emerge from under the flavours of blackberry compote, Dutch licorice, chocolate covered blueberries and Asian spice.  Once those tannins took hold they never let me go. It was as if a single tannin had walked down my tongue and dropped a time bomb. Three, two, one…boom and the bomb has started an avalanche of ripe tannins which cascade over my tongue enveloping every inch of my mouth.  Now compared to the JPB this wine has a little more balance between oak and flavour but I could understand if people preferred the JPB as it is a little more full bodied wine. However, I see the Lot 3 wine as having greater balance, length and beauty but only by the smallest of margins.   

Alcohol: ?
Price: $30
Rated: 95
Drink: 2020 – 2037

Recently I seem to be receiving a few samples of wine that have only just been bottled or haven't been given a label which is something I consider to be very cool.  Getting in on the ground floor feels so good. Hand painted and I love it.

2 comments: