Thursday 5 July 2012

Patritti Merlot 2009

When I think of the bargain wines of the century a few come to mind.  Any Semillon is the first and Halliday was the man that got me onto that variety.  Next is Mike Press from the Adelaide Hills which came to the front of my mind by Campbell Mattinson. As these two gentleman and the wineries that they recommended have shaped my buying in the past I would like to share one winery that I think joins these ranks as the best  value driven winery in Australia.

Patritti Merlot 2009

I wasn't expecting much from this wine but from the get go I new this was going to be a great value Merlot that offered a little extra. The palate is plumpy with spicy plum working its magic before some savoury crushed flowers and licorice join the team.  This is an easy wine to like as it slips down my throat with control and refined goodness.  What is most enchanting is the amount of tannin that holds the structure together and carries the flavour along my tongue.  While this is not the best wine going around for $12 it beats a lot of wines three times its price. Time to get on board!

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $12
Rated: 86
Drink: Now - 2016


2 comments:

  1. Interesting about the price and how it beats other expensive wines. I will keep this one in mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patritti seems to price all of their wines at very low prices. It would be great to visit their cellar door and try their whole range.

    ReplyDelete