Sunday 22 January 2012

Chapel Hill Gorge Block Chardonnay 2010

During the late 90s and early 00s I fell of the Chapel Hill bandwagon as I found many of their wines had a little bit of over ripeness inherent within them.  Since tasting a few white and reds from their current offering, I can safely say that there has been a massive turn around. Since taking over as head winemaker, Michael Fragos has done a fantastic job as this wine is firmly the best Chardonnay from the Vales that I have tasted.


Chapel Hill Gorge Block Chardonnay 2010

This is definitely not what I was expecting as the wine shows restraint as the translucent liquid fills my glass. Even though this wine sees a bit of new French oak the colour is more reminiscent of a Sauvignon Blanc whilst the nose reminds me of a top quality cool climate offering from this variety. On the palate there are flavours of white nectarine, lime cordial mixed with gunpowder and spicy mixed nuts. This is the first Chardonnay from Mclaren Vale that doesn't show massive amounts of ultra ripe flavours covered in oak yet it still tastes inherently like it is from the Vales.  After tasting this I had written in my notes RRP $40 bucks and good value so I was astonished to find out that is actually sells for $25 bucks at cellar door.  I'm glad that my note taking ability is lacking in some areas as it makes this wine a bargain.

Alcohol: 13%
Price: $25
Rated: 88+
Drink: Now - 2018

10_gorgechard

No comments:

Post a Comment