Thursday 26 January 2012

Vigna Cantina Sangiovese 2009

This wine is produced by Torzi Matthews which is a winemaker that I respect.  He makes some great wines from the cooler areas within the Barossa but this is the first one that I have tasted that comes from an Italian variety. The vines are 15 years old but they are from the Brunello and Piccolo clones which makes this wine's pedigree rather brilliant. This wine is also wild fermented and placed in old French oak barrels.

Vigna Cantina Sangiovese 2009

Upon opening the room fills with a huge porty aroma which puts me in an uneasy mood. On the palate there is masses of sweet ripe cherries and leather before the flavour drop off my tongue.  The things I look for in a Sangiovese include sweet and sour flavours on a savoury palate with an abundance of tannins waiting underneath but I don't get any of those things here.  The wine is already moving into its secondary flavour spectrum with little tannin and a very short finish.

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $22
Rated: 79
Drink: Now

No comments:

Post a Comment