Tuesday 17 April 2012

Bodegas y Vinedos Alion 2006

The 2006 growing season for Ribera Del Duero in Spain could have turned out to be shocking.  What happened over this period started with normal flowering but during the period just after veraison, the heavens opened forcing a large amount of water to be soaked up by the wines.  Huge bunches resulted and could have meant that average wine would be the order of the day but mild temperatures for an extended period meant a hay day for wineries.  Large volumes of top quality wine all round meaning the wine consumer is the winner in the end.

Bodegas y Vinedos Alion 2006

I thought I would see more oak in this wine but the flavours are firmly in the background yet I can feel that they have added a serious yet refined texture to this wine.  The seductiveness of the texture works perfectly with the dirtiness and floral overtones within the wine.  While the flavours are intense and in the darker end of the spectrum I am never overwhelmed by their nature.  Everything just seems to change and evolve as I thought it would yet i'm surprised every time they do.  It is almost like a Jack in the Box. I know what is coming and I'm excited when Jack pops out at the end.  What the Jack in the Box doesn't possess is the wealth of succulent tannins that unfolds from this wine.  They consume my tongue but never dominate or steal the show from the other parts of the performance.  Bravo!

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $150
Rated: 95
Drink: 2015 - 2030
Importer: Negociants

No comments:

Post a Comment