Friday 27 April 2012

Domaine La Roquete Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2009

This winery is part of the View Telegraph stable and since it was acquired in 1986 by the Brunier family the quality has risen.  The average vine age for the estate is now pushing 40 years so they should have a large resource to draw upon when it comes time to selecting the parcels for this flagship wine. The estate comprises 32 hectares of vines with the largest proportion of the Chateauneuf-du-Pape planting being Grenache.

Domaine La Roquete Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2009

Beautiful red fruits crawl out of my glass in such a slow manner that it seems time has stopped.  It doesn't faze me because the aromas are such a spectacle that I want to just sit back and watch them evolve.  Once I do take a sip the joy level gets taken up a notch or two as the tannins and acidity hold the flavours in perfect balance. Nothing is overbearing rather everything seems to dance and dazzle my senses. If I was pressed to say which variety is leading the charge at this stage I would say Mourvedre is the beast that is running the show.  Will that be the same next time? No as there is so much in built complexity to this seductive liquid.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $80
Rated: 94+
Drink: Tastes so good now bit will evolve over the next 2 decades
Importer: Negociants

No comments:

Post a Comment