Sunday 15 April 2012

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Autumn Riesling 2010

When grown in cool climates the Riesling grape variety struggles to flower well which may explain why the top quality versions come from ultra cool climates.  Take Alsace for instance, the mean June temperature is just 17 degrees Celsius when compared to the mean January temperature of 21 degree in the Clare Valley, premium region for the variety in South Australia.

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Autumn Riesling 2010

I wanted to like this more as the initial flavours looked good but it was the mid palate and lack of length that finally meant I had to write this score down.  On the uptake this wine delivers flavours of flint, lime and grapefruit with a hint of spice.  And then the drop off! It is like reading the start of a book and you get past the first few lines and have to put it down.  If asked what the story was about I couldn't tell you but I did like the first few characters that were introduced. I want the wine to tell a story in its entirety.  I want love and loss to take me on an emotional roller coaster and I want that Hollywood ending.  This wine unfortunately didn't deliver that.

Alcohol: 11.5%
Price: $22
Rated: 84
Drink: Now - 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment