Thursday 15 December 2011

Best's wines

Driving from Adelaide you see a few wineries but today I decided to pull into Bests of Great Western.  As an South Australia we don’t see much of their wine, especially their sparkling shiraz or their two top shiraz wines.  That got me thinking, is it fair to disregard such a maker due to the parochial nature of the Adelaide wine market?  We pulled up the long dirt drive way next to an extremely old rustic wooden cellar door.  As I got out of the car I noticed a sign for that particular vineyard.  You can see in the photo below that it is the nursery block with varieties that they still have to name. I am starting to get excited now about the possibility of trying something really unique.



As we enter the cellar door there is plenty of memorabilia regarding the history of the region and the winery.  A lovely lady greets us and asks if we would like to taste some wines today.  Hell yes says my wife as I am spitting and driving us to our final destination of Daylesford. The cellar door lady took us through almost all the range and was able to tell us about the climate during those periods, how it was made, cellaring period, etc..  Actually she was able to answer everything that we asked.  Cellar door staff are normally good but she was everything we could have asked for.

My daughter played the piano and drew on some colouring books while my wife and I tasted through the range.  In fact I would recommend stopping off here if you have a family as there is a beautiful area outside to sit and have a picnic or just let your munchkins run around for a bit to blow off some of that energy before you have to head off to your final destination.



The wines are of very good standard all round but I would say that the first white would be the one I would buy as it offers good quality and a uniqueness that no other winery can offer in Australia as the varieties encompass 17 different varieties from their nursery block in the one blend.   The sparkling shiraz is great quality and a bargain in that particular price. That said the Bin 0 was the best quality wine of the lot with great cellaring potential.  After tasting trough the range I thought we should get taste more wines like these in Adelaide as they offer depth of flavour with a more savoury profile.  

Best's wines Congella Blanc 2011

Lovely and fruity with a huge hit of acid bringing me back. I love the way it offers me different degrees of flavours but then withdraws me in with its balance. What I am left with is length and memories of flavours past.

Alcohol: 11.5%
Rated: 87
Price: $22

Best's wines Riesling 2011

Lemon pith with a bit of slate and floral action. Do I love it no. Is it good yes. 

Alcohol: 11.5%
Price: $22
Rated: 86

Best's House Block Riesling 2010

What a beautiful start to a bottle of wine with flavours of apple blossom, petrol and lime cordial.  What happens next is just to die for.  There is a ultra reserved feeling of classically crafted texture that brings me in which kisses me on the cheek but never lets me go. Is it the best? Well yes it is from them but no it is not the best yet it is very good.

Alcohol: 10.5%
Price: 35%
Rated: 92

Best's wine Bin 1 Shiraz 2010

She is light with cherry galore and cracked pepper with a little warmth from the mid palate. I really like the tannins as they hug my tongue.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $25
Rated: 85

Sparkling Shiraz 2009

Dark fruits stand tall with notes of spice emerging towards the back end. The flavours linger long with a wanting that is rare at such a price point. Yummo.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $25
Rated: 90!

Best's Bin 0 Shiraz

This wines does not show as much as some of the others but is does show tannin and length.  It is huge!

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $75
Rated: $92++

No comments:

Post a Comment