Sunday 11 December 2011

Curly Flat Chardonnay 2009

The Macedon Ranges isn't that far from Melbourne.  In fact you could be there within an hours drive of the big smoke.  Most of the vineyards are rather elevated, think up to 800m, which makes them perfect for cool climate varieties.  Generally they possess much more tannin structure with a core of vibrant acidity than the same varieties from South Australia. If I was going to say which one region is most exciting to me then I would have to hang my hat on this rather large region. Furthermore if you aren't into wine then the region boasts a lovely agricultural mix with meats, ciders, cheeses and breads plus every second town has farmers markets with antique stores galore.

Curly Flat Chardonnay 2009

The wines has a tail of two halves. Firstly there is the winemakers influence which is the apparent right from the get go.  The it moves into the high quality fruit flavours that are nestled underneath.  While I love this now the potential is staggering.  What more do I want than great length, lively acidity with an enjoyment factor written all over it.

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $42
Rated: 92++
Drink: 2014 - 2022

2 comments: