Wednesday 14 March 2012

Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz 2007

James Halliday must be a visionary as he first established Brokenwood and Coldstream Hills.  James and a few colleges bought the original vineyards for a $970.  Over the years after the monumental event, they acquired some of the most spectular vineyards in the area including the Graveyard vineyard. Now I had this wine a little while ago but I thought I would write up the notes as it is important to document.

Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz 2007

This wine hasn't unfurled itself yet but it does show pure brilliance in terms of tannin structure and succulent acidity. There are notes of dark chocolate and freshly varnished wood smothered in smoked plums with a hint of wild whip adding to the seductive nature of the wine.  I would leave this for a long while before I decide to open them as they get better and better with age.  While I was tasting this a thought just keeps on going over and over in my head and that is "remember the tannins Josh, remember the tannins". Could this be one of the best Australian wines produced with a little bottle age? I think yes.

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $140
Rated: 94+++
Drink: 2017 - 2032

Brokenwood 

No comments:

Post a Comment