Tuesday 6 March 2012

Oliver's Taranga Small Batch Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

I met Corrina Wright recently and I was drawn into her beauty and electrifying personality. She is the type of person who lights up a room with her warmth and easy going nature.  While we sat in the cellar door at Oliver's Taranga I got the feeling that the team of Nicky, Brioni and Corrina are a close bunch who respect each other with each one bringing a different set of skills to the table. One of the best qualities that the team at Oliver's possess is the ultra high quality vineyards that they have at their disposal. Most of the grapes that are grown at their vineyards are sold to high quality small, medium and large producers. Many people would have tried the grapes from this vineyard but it would have been under another label. Since I found out what they grow I have come to understand that the most renowned Tempranillo, Shiraz, Sagrantino and Fiano in Australia have all come from this grower at some stage. As I said in the last review of Oliver's Shiraz 75% of Grange in 2011 will be from the oldest planting on the Oliver's Taranga block. Not bad at all I say.

Oliver's Taranga Small Batch Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

The wine is brooding and pungent at this stage with aromas of blackcurrant essence and tomato leaf mixed with Asian spice, crushed flowers and regional licorice.  The flavour swirl in my mouth, running rings around my senses and while there is depth of flavour the wine never gets big or bold.  Its more elegant and regional than anything else. With the flavours still in my mind, the the ribald style tannins take hold, loving my taste buds, in a carefree sort of way. Stick this away for a while at it will reward you with gold.

Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $29
Rated: 90
Drink: 2016 - 2025

wine 09 cabsauv

No comments:

Post a Comment