Tuesday 27 March 2012

Penfolds Bin 389 2009

This vintage is the 50th consecutive bin 389.  It was first conceived due to the inconsistent nature of top quality Cabernet in Australia at the time so blending with a bit of Shiraz was deemed the way to go.  As I think that the flavour profile of older Grange's tastes more of Cabernet I have always liked collecting this traditional Australian blend.

Penfolds Bin 389 2009

This is a little unlike your normal bin 389 release as it is a little more showy with the Shiraz leading the way.  I guess that if anyone is celebrating their 50th anniversary then they would be getting dressed up for the occasion. Just watch out that no one makes you put on a jewel encrusted elephant G-string as it will come back to haunt you at your 60th.  That aside, the wine shows some lovely mocha and vanilla bean notes intermixed with blackberry pascales, dried licorice and spiced currants. While I don't think this is a long term 389 I would recommend it for consumption over the next 10 or so years.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $50
Rated: 92
Drink:  2013 - 2022

3 comments:

  1. Tell me, where can I get a jewel encrusted elephant g-string?

    ReplyDelete
  2. most adult entertainment stores have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they also sell jewel encrusted mankinis?

    ReplyDelete