Thursday 2 February 2012

Shobbrook Wines Autumn Release 2011

Tomorrow is the launch of Tom and Anton’s autumn release so I thought I should have a look at a few to see if it is worth heading down.  Every year they hold an event at East End Cellars which is located in the heart of Adelaide.  Last year they cooked a goat Portuguese style then served it in pitta bread with homemade yogurt and cucumber dip.  This year Tom has boned a pig and will open cook it over an extended period before transporting in down to serve with their whole range of wines.  Tom and Anton provide a festive atmosphere and will happily answer any question that people may throw at them.  If I had to give you an idea of how it would run and how you may feel during the event, think of the feelings that comes over you when you are at the circus. It is a must attend event and they serve some brilliant booze.  What more could you want?

Shobbrook Wines Riesling 2011

My god this wine is intense as it is like tasting lime concentrate, lemon blossom, essence of spring flowers and exploded quartz. The mid palate is plumpy and filled to the max which might have resulted from the oak treatment that this wine sees but you wouldn’t notice any oak flavours on the palate.  The flavours are brilliant and inviting but it is the massive acid backbone that really gets me excited.  It is so huge you could hang a dinosaur off of it.  The wine sits extremely long on my palate and finishes with a light tannic grip which I think is from the wood.

Alcohol: 12%
Price: $32
Rated: 93
Drink: Now – 2027


I really loved the 09 version of this wine as it had up front fruit with structure to bring up the sophistication level but the 2010 version is miles ahead.  In this wine you get earthy dirty flavours with specks of sour cranberries, spice, slate and chocolate covered raspberries.  These flavours are so inviting and exciting that I could have missed the insane tannin and acid structure that lurks underneath.  The main thoughts that go through my head while I taste this is how refined and earthy this is.  I could drink this now but it will be better with 3 years in a dark cave.

Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $26
Rated: 90
Drink: 2015 - 2025

No comments:

Post a Comment