Thursday 23 February 2012

Whistling Eagle Viognier 2009

Viognier has a air of mystery around it since the history of the grape is steeped in intrigue.  The story that I want to believe goes something like this.  On a dark night a ship from the Rhone river was loaded with Shiraz vines, but due to the darkness a few viognier vines slipped in, which were to be transported to Beaujolais for planting to be established in that region but the ship was boarded by the local pirates in Condrieu.  I really like how these mischievous lot planted out the stolen vines and began producing wines. I guess they needed something to drink.

Whistling Eagle Viognier 2009

I normally hate this grape variety as it can be so obvious and one dimensional. This version is a lot more restrained and vibrant which makes for so much more fun.  The palate opens with apricot blossom and a valentines day bouquet of flowers before some grated fresh ginger and orange peel comes tumbling in.  These flavours bobble between lightness and richness on my tongue which makes me think.  Its the sort of cerebral wine which could wow a wine nerd or dazzle someone that hadn't tried wine before. What gets my juices flowing is the textural component in the mid palate.  It is like being twirled by Christopher Dean of Torvill and Dean on the ice at the Olympics.  Marvellous!

Alcohol: 14%
Price: $30
Rated: 87
Drink: 2013 - 2017

Whistling Eagle Viognier 2008

2 comments:

  1. G'day Josh

    Must be thick Friday, for I don't see how Pirates in Condrieu fashioned Viognier out of Shiraz vines lifted from a boat? We're they magicians who transmogrified Viognier out of Shiraz?

    Yours confusedly,

    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stu good point. forgot to add a sentence. i would get rid of my editor but that's me.

    ReplyDelete