Saturday 17 September 2011

Tapanappa Chardonnay 2010

From a Chardonnay point of view, I  have never really been able to get into Brian Crozer's way of thinking.  I have never had a bad one, nor have I ever had one that has rocked my boat.  I've tried the Tier Chardonnay, from Petaluma, a dozen times but couldn't work out what all the fuss was about.  That said he may not have been making the wines at that stage within the Petaluma organisation.  This serious entry level Chardonnay comes from the young vines of a vineyard next to the Tiers vineyard.  The vineyard has only been planted in recent times so it is refreshing to see such quality as this stage.  I expect big things to come.

Tapanappa Chardonnay 2010

There is a definite winemakers thumb print over this wine but it all seems to hang together nicely.  There are flavours of caramelised hazelnuts, grapefruit and spicy peach  which hang off the beautiful acidity.   I think this gives an indication of where the Tiers Chardonnay will sit in terms of quality.  Nice, very nice.  Normally I associate Brian's wines with something a little bigger but its nice to see the fine shape of this 2010. It needs a little extra length and breadth of flavour to move up the ladder but for the price it is rather good.  Give it a few years in the bottle to fill out and you will be rewarded.

Alcohol: 12.8%
Price: $36

Rated: 88
Drink: 2013 - 2020


 

No comments:

Post a Comment